Connect with us

NEWS

Breaking news:Putin begins biggest Russian military call-up in years:see more :

Published

on

President Vladimir Putin has called up 160,000 men aged 18-30, Russia’s highest number of conscripts since 2011, as the country moves to expand the size of its military.

The spring call-up for a year’s military service came several months after Putin said Russia should increase the overall size of its military to almost 2.39 million and its number of active servicemen to 1.5 million

That is a rise of 180,000 over the coming three years.

Vice Adm Vladimir Tsimlyansky said the new conscripts would not be sent to fight in Ukraine for what Russia calls its “special military operation”.

Vice Adm Vladimir Tsimlyansky said the new conscripts would not be sent to fight in Ukraine for what Russia calls its “special military operation”.

However, there have been reports of conscripts being killed in fighting in Russia’s border regions and they were sent to fight in Ukraine in the early months of the full-scale war.

The current draft, which takes place between April and July, comes despite US attempts to forge a ceasefire in the war.
The current draft, which takes place between April and July, comes despite US attempts to forge a ceasefire in the war.

There was no let-up in the violence on Tuesday, with Ukraine saying that a Russian attack on a power facility in the southern city of Kherson had left 45,000 people without electricity.

Although Russia has turned down a full US-brokered ceasefire with Ukraine, it says it did agree to stop attacking Ukraine’s energy facilities. In an apparent attempt to deny Moscow had broken the terms of that deal, Russian officials said they had told Putin that Ukrainian drones had carried out attacks with little sign of a break.

Russia calls up conscripts in the spring and autumn but the latest draft of 160,000 young men is 10,000 higher than the same period in 2024.

ince the start of last year, the pool of young men available for the draft has been increased by raising the maximum age from 27 to 30.

As well as call-up notices delivered by post, Russia’s young men will be receiving notifications on the state services website Gosuslugi.

In Moscow there were reports that call-ups had already been sent out on 1 April via the mos.ru city website.

Increasing numbers of Russians are trying to avoid the army by taking on “alternative civilian service”. But human rights lawyer Timofey Vaskin warned on independent Russian media that every new call-up since the start of the war had become a lottery: “Authorities are coming up with new forms of refilling the army.”

Quite apart from its twice-yearly draft, Russia has also called up large numbers of men as contract soldiers and recruited thousands of soldiers from North Korea.

Moscow has had to respond to extensive losses in Ukraine, with more than 100,000 verified by the BBC and Mediazona as soldiers killed in Ukraine.

Putin has scaled up the size of the military three times since he ordered troops to capture Ukraine in February 2022.

Russia’s defence ministry linked the December 2023 increase in the size of the military to “growing threats” from both the war in Ukraine and the “ongoing expansion of Nato”.

Nato has expanded to include Finland and Sweden, as a direct result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Finland has Nato’s longest border with Russia, at 1,343km (834 miles) and Prime Minister Petteri Orpo said on Tuesday that his country would join other states neighbouring Russia in pulling out of the Ottawa convention banning anti-personnel mines.

Poland and the Baltic states made similar decisions two weeks ago because of the military threat from Russia.

Orpo said the decision to resume using anti-personnel mines was based on military advice, and that the people of Finland had nothing to worry about.

The government in Helsinki also said defence spending would be increased to 3% of economic output (GDP), up from 2.4% last year.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ROYAL FAMILY16 minutes ago

Breaking News: images of King Charles’ condition in the hospital have been officially released: “The most advanced treatment methods have failed, and we are now waiting for…read more

NFL43 minutes ago

Breaking news:Warriors’ big win over Lakers seems to have genuinely annoyed LeBron James See more :

CELEBRITY1 hour ago

Latest news:Meghan Markle Makes Dessert Named After Her Daughter, with a Guest Cameo from Her Adorable Dogs Read more :

CELEBRITY7 hours ago

Latest news:NFL superstar Travis Kelce and pop icon Taylor Swift said “I do” last night in a wedding that had fans and A-listers alike buzzing with excitement. The couple, whose romance has captivated headlines since they went public in 2023, exchanged vows in a lavish ceremony attended by some of the biggest names in sports and entertainment…SEE 10 PHOTOS OF THE WEDDING

CELEBRITY7 hours ago

BREAKING NEWS: Elon Musk Officially Banned from All coming Games After Kansas City Chiefs Announcement for This Reason…… In a move that has left the sports world buzzing, the Kansas City Chiefs have officially banned billionaire Elon Musk from attending any of their future games and here is how Elon musk reacted by…see full articles here

CELEBRITY8 hours ago

SAD NEWS: Just 30 minutes ago, the family of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg released a statement confirming that he’s…See More

NEWS8 hours ago

Breaking news:NEWSDonald Trump’s Weird Definition Of “Groceries” Is Going Viral Donald Trump has a real obsession with the word “groceries.”

ROYAL FAMILY8 hours ago

Latest news:Prince Harry Expresses ‘Relief’ Over U.K. Charity Investigation

CELEBRITY9 hours ago

Breaking New: Venus Williams’ husband discovers the true Father of their triplets after a long time of waiting sparking controversy among family and friends See more .

NFL19 hours ago

Latest news:Curry leads Golden State to victory over Lakers see more

CELEBRITY19 hours ago

Breaking news:When Patrick Mahomes Heard a Toddler Crying in the Store, He Had No Idea What He’d Find”…See More

NEWS21 hours ago

Breaking news:Drama Erupts: De Niro Sues Elon Musk, Demands $100 Million for Statements That Cost Him a 2025 Oscar Nomination and this is how Elon musk reacted to…see more

Copyright © 2024 Louvernews